Google

Saturday, November 3, 2007

The Tommy Blogg Talk Box: John R. Dilworth, Creator of Courage the Cowardly Dog

In this issue's edition of "TalkBox", I am interviewing the mastermind behind such works as "Courage the Cowardly Dog", Mr. John R. Dilworth.

Q: How did you get into the animation business?
A: I started working as a production artist painting cels ( a mostly obsolete technique used for 80 years ), then I ambitiously rose through assistant animator to animator to director. All through the "process" I made my own films. My "art" eventually lead to the creation of Stretch Films.

Q: I understand the "Courage the Cowrdly Dog" character was developed from an old short you did, as were two characters that could be construed as "proto-Muriel" and "proto-Eustace". Whas it dufficult to come up with these characters?
A: The Chicken from Outer Space was one of my smoothest creations. Courage evolved from a dog named Hamilton on my MTV short, "Smart Talk with Raisin". I had wanted to work with this form of dog since Hamilton was designed. He looks like a elbow bracket. Muriel was also quite easy to design. I based her on a wonderful Scottish woman. Her name is also Muriel. She is the aunt of my former long time lady and current great friend. I used to call Muriel on Sunday and take notes on our conversation. It would be impossible for our writers to come up with the stuff "Muriel" said without it being nearly verbatim. Eustace also came easily. I had a preternatural knowing of what he looked like. I cannot explain it, however I have an imprinting of the face of great depression era farmers.

Q: What projects are you working on now?
A: My current investment of life energy is a monkey short called "Island of Dumb Monkeys" starring two chimp brothers, Chunks & Choogle. I have been developing this cartoon for almost 5 years. I've taken the project around in several incarnations trying to raise patronage. Since I began this idea, there have been many productions starring monkeys, including a soon to be released feature called Space Chimps. Way back in 2002 or so, one of my chimp incarnations had them as "space chimps". I can only acknowledge with a suspicion of curiosity how ideas and time and other unknowns fold over to create similar events. I am very excited to begin production on Dumb Monkeys this July with completion in early 2008. We have finally raised independent financing which is a big departure in the way I seek funding. I really love these brothers. They are free of blame or guilt, qualities that are in rare supply today.

Q: Since you created a "Cowardly dog", I should ask, what are YOUR fears?
A: My fears are that I will not be able to continue making films and slip off into a black void through the capricious nature of envious or jealous characters like tv executives or colleagues.
Q: I understand you also did work on the late '90's - early '00's cult favorite "Doug". How was that?
A: "Doug" was a landmark for NYC animation. Nicktoons had created this new initiative of programing that included "Ren & Stimpy" - which I also did a guest directorial stint after the creator was removed. The series gathered together artists who all shared a similar naivete of the looming future, the digital revolution. We touched a non-plastic world where the objects engaged our bodies much more than current tools. I was a vendor suppling the series with storyboards and other "special" design needs.

Q: So can we forsee "Courage" ever starting up again? If no, then will it be sold into syndication or hit the "big screen"?
A: I do not believe Courage will ever return. There simply isn't the merchandising support. I was told in the hallways of CN in Atlanta way back that buyers were hesitant to sell boys a "pink" dog, that no one would buy it. I never thought Courage was "pink", more violet having more blue than red. The show was also expensive to produce for the network.

Q: Come to think of it, why did "Courage the Cowardly Dog" go out of primetime circulation?
It can't be because of lack of fan response, because that show got more of a following than a lot of cartoons out there today. They just don't make 'em like they used to do they?
A: I cannot answer this question only because the agendas of programmers are completely off the planet from creators. Courage continues to and has been broadcast since it's debut in 1999. I know because I get residuals from SAG, which is the only way I keep track of the show.

Q: Anything else you would like to say to me or my loyal folowing?
A: Only that I am deeply grateful for the continued interest in my work. I am en-courage-d by the many fan emails I receive and for the level of appreciation conveyed for the effort my staff of unique creatives and I put into every episode. I always wanted to be famous for giving back to audiences some genuine quality like laughter. I personally love to laugh and to be silly. I live a fantasy where people are not given to greed or wickedness. I like the idea of the Shakespearean fool who knows more of life and human nature than the king does and yet choses to remain the fool.

Q: It was awesome having you on "TalkBox". Hope to get a follow up and I wish you the best.
A: I am more pleased than I can express. My very sincere gratitude. Anything more I can do for you and your vision, all you have to do is scream!

STAY TUNED FOR MORE FROM FISH-N-CHIPS ENTERTAINMENT

No comments: