Google

Monday, May 19, 2008

The Tommy Blogg TalkBox Interviews: Actor and Columnist, Steven Lea Sheppard


Q: I will start with what everyone wants to know; What's your favorite kind of sandwich?

A: A good shrimp club is always appreciated, but they can be hard to find; not everywhere makes shrimp clubs, and I've had some bad ones. A good turkey club isn't quite as good as a good shrimp club, but they're available everywhere and, much like pizza, even the ones that aren't great are pretty good. I think I appreciate turkey club sandwiches more on the whole, but I prefer shrimp club sandwiches individually.

Q: My reader probably know you best for your role as Dudley Heinsburgen in the amazing and popular Wes Anderson comedy "The Royal Tennenbaums". What was it like playing a scientific guinea pig for a bearded Bill Murray?


A: Often very cold. A lot of the sets we shot in weren't particularly well-heated, and Dudley's wardrobe consisted of short shorts and a T-shirt. Other than that, fun. Bill Murray especially but also the majority of the cast were competent people, comfortable in their jobs. One hears about on-set drama in Hollywood productions, but I didn't see any. I've found acting is less intimidating if one approaches it as just a job like any other, and having a set full of people who feel the same way helps.

Q: What's next on your plate? (And don't have it until you finish your peas)

A: Not sure yet. Possibly that post-secondary education thing that keeps getting interrupted by other things.

Q: What do you consider your self in politics, Republican or Democrat?

A: Canada doesn't have the same set of political parties as the United States; moreover, because we have four major political parties at any given time (and existing ones tend to die off and get replaced by new ones every thirty to fifty years), Canadians don't really self-identify according to political affiliation the way Americans often seem to. Were I to affiliate myself with a particular American political party, it'd be the Democrats, but that's hardly surprising. The Canadian political "center" is much further to the left than the American; to most of us, even the American Democrats come across as uncomfortably far-right.

Canadian-politics-wise, all the parties are pretty bleah right now.

"Editor's Note: Sorry, I Have A Set of 20 Questions That I Mix And Match. I'm Not Thouroughly Incompetent."

Q: If you were president, what is the first thing you would do with all that power?

A: I'd launch an investigation into how that happened -- as a native-born Canadian I'm not eligible to be elected POTUS. Beyond that, I'd probably call up Al Gore and Jimmy Carter and ask for advice, since they've both won Nobel Peace Prizes and have some experience with Presidential-level US politics.

Q:Where do you see your self in 10 years?


A: Writing professionally, I hope.

Q: What are your super powers?

A: I wish I knew.

Q: What is your weakness?

A: Caffeine dependency, which I'm trying to kick even as I type this.


Q: Boxers of briefs?

A: That's a bit of a personal question for a first interview, don't you think?

Q: Paper or plastic?

A: Paper is sturdier more eco-friendly, but plastic is more easily re-used. Lately I've been using one of those vinyl bags you take with you to the store; it has the benefit of being both sturdy and re-usable.


Q: If you were an animal, what would you be specifically?

A: The great ape pan narrens, which, as it happens, I am.

Q: Let's do word association; Fish!

Coconut milk. They go well together.

Q: Is there anything you have to say to my league of readers here on "The Tommy Blogg
Talk Box"?

Not that I can think of at the moment, I'm afraid.

Q: I hope to get a follow-up with you and now consider you my friend? Do I reserve the right to call you a "famous friend" among the other celebritites who have been here on "TBTB"?


I see no reason why not.

Stephen Lea Sheppard

That just goes to show, the watching "The Royal Tennenbaums" at 6 AM and getting an interview with an actor on the movie at 8:47 American Central : UTC-6/-5 Time, Set Your Mind To It, And There's No Reason You Can't Do It.

No comments: