Google

Friday, May 9, 2008

The Tommy Blogg Talkbox Interviews: Ryan Heller, Lead Singer of Boston Indie Rock Band Aberdeen City



There may be no better expression of greatness on the Boston indie scene than Aberdeen City, a four-man outfit who released the re-release of their smash first album "The Freezing Atlantic" in 2006 and are relesing their first new work since then SOON. We got an interview with him. Read It.


Q: Your band has made itself an institution in independent music. Do you like being a band with a wide fanbase, but less exposure?

A: It's been a while since we've toured so I feel like I've lost some perspective on who actually is listening to us-- but to answer the question, I just like that people heard the last album and I hope they hear the next one as well.

Q: When's the next EP, LP, or CD coming out, and wh should everyone that reads this blog buy it?

A: we've just finished recording it after almost a year of writing. i think we got pretty burnt out on the freezing atlantic touring because it came out twice and we spent almost two years playing those songs live, so it was great to take time off and write. but how we're burnt out on that. We're all hoping for a 2008 release for the LP but I think we're going to post some stuff on our site for free. Seems to be the thing to do these days and we'd like to see/hear some reactions.

Q: Who influences you as a writers/musicians the most?

A: Personally, I'm most influenced by the three other guys in this band. When we're writing, I don't really listen to very much music. I think it's because we have such a democratic songwriting process. We all write parts for each other and everything is fair game. Even with something as personal as lyrics, if Brad writes a line that the three of us don't like, it goes. I think that type and level of creative control influences my own creativity more than anything else because it's like a big long musical conversation that ends in a song. Does that sound jam-bandy to say? Whatever.

Q: What is your stance/stances on the war in Iraq?

A: I have friends that have been over there and that are there now--- so while I have my opinions, mostly I think I'm totally under-qualified to talk about it in a real way. I mean, I don't ask my military friends what indie rock I should be listening to.


Q: What are you/you guys' favorite food?

A; There are these burritos in Boston from a place called Annas Taqueria; It's last meal type shit.

Q: So after inspecting my blog, how awesome is it on a scale of 1-10 ( http://www.thetommyzone.blogspot.com )

A; I can say that on a scale of 1-10 you are 10x cooler than I was when I was 14.

Q: Do I reserve the riht to call you/ your band my newest on my list famous friends?

A; Absolutely. take it easy.

READ AGAIN>>>>

No comments: