Google

Sunday, May 11, 2008

The Tommy Blogg Talkbox Interviews: Jon Barthmus, Lead Singer of Indie Rock Band The A-Sides



Today I had the pleasure of interviewing a truly talented individual, Jon Barthmus of the indie rock/ collee rock outfit "The A-Sides" which is currently a 5 piece revue who has released two full-length albums, and were just signed to Vagrant records (as new members of the TB we are extrememly happy for them.
Here Is My Interview;


Q: Your band has made itself an institution in independent music. Do you like being a band with a wide fanbase, but less exposure?

A: hm...I'm not sure how wide our fanbase is, but it is amazing to us when we show up to play in some random city and there's even one person that is really excited to see us.

Q: When's the next EP, LP, or CD coming out, and wh should everyone that reads this blog buy it?

A: Our next move may be a mystery even for us. I've got a ton of songs ready to go, and I think we're going to be recording them by ourselves so EPs, LPs, who knows...we might just start releasing whatever we want whenever we create it. That's kind of what I'd like to do. Only time will tell.

Q: Who influences you as a writers/musicians the most?

A: Influences are a constantly changing thing for us. I can say that whatever will become the next record will have been largely influenced by the japanese writer Haruki Murakami. I first picked up one of his books when we finished the last record and it immediately had such an impact on me. Since then I've read nearly everything he's written and a lot of the imagery sort of repeats itself from book to book and I've found some of those ideas really sticking with me and resonating with what I was already writing.

Q: What is your stance/stances on the war in Iraq?

A: It makes my stomach turn. I'd say that there's hope for it to be over soon, but it seems like the US will always find a way to be at war with someone.

Q: What are you/you guys' favorite food?

A; This is a great question because on our last couple of tours we'd joke about how we're really just on a tour of the best vegetarian restaurants in the country. Playing shows sort of became secondary to finding good food. We'd usually do a little research on our way into any given city and go directly to whatever restaurant even before we went to the venue. That said...my personal absolute favorite food I think comes from a place called "the grit" in athens georgia. Anything I've ever had there is my favorite food. Other than that I can say that we all agree on PIZZA as a true timeless favorite.

Q: So after inspecting my blog, how awesome is it on a scale of 1-10 ( http://www.thetommyzone.blogspot.com )

A; There has not yet been a scale invented that would capture a rating for your blog.

Q: Do I reserve the right to call you/ your band my newest on my list famous friends?

A; I don't think we're remotely famous, but sure, let's be friends!

We hope to get a followup, and go out and buy about 700 copies of their latest CD, "Silver Storms" (2007) on iTunes. Make sure to soak it all up and get back to the band at their website listed in the link area to your right.

No comments: